grumble, grumble
Well I was on a roll yesterday after basting Happy Campers, so I decided to get to cutting the sashing strips for my whirlygigs. I got everything cut and sat down to start sewing, when I realized I forgot to include seam allowances on the width of the strips! I cut 25 8½" x 2" strips. I want them to be 2" wide finished! I also cut six 2" x WOF strips for the horizontal sashing. This wound up using ⅔ of a yard. Now I have a decision to make. - I could go ahead and use what I cut, losing 3" from the height of the quilt and 2½" from the width. If I stick with 4" borders, this will give me a finished quilt measuring 47½" x 58" (which is a bit awkward).
- I could make up the difference by making a wider border, probably 6". This would give me a finished size of 51½" x 62". Still awkward, but big enough to cuddle under on the couch.
- I could go ahead and cut the strips out correctly, and toss what I have aside for future days. With 2" finished sashing and 4" finished borders, the quilt will measure 50" x 60". Nice, even measurements, and the perfect size for laying on the couch.
I'm torn, because this was supposed to just be a fun, easy lap quilt. I don't want to over-complicate it, but I still want it to be visually appealing. I think 8" blocks with 1½" sashing might look kinda funky. I also don't want to waste what I've already cut.
What would you do?
If you have enough fabric left I would cut new strips the size you want and save the miss-cut strips for something else. No use putting all the work into something you won't be pleased with!
ReplyDeleteLOL - BTDT! Go with what you have and do a couple borders instead of just one. Chalk it up to experience.
ReplyDeleteUnless you really, really hate it, I'd say go with what you cut already. No one but you will realize the finished project is a slightly awkward dimension. They'll be too busy admiring how beautiful it is.
ReplyDelete