Maybe working on the back will inspire me to finish the top. I have decided to use the remnants of my jelly roll (below) to piece a strip to go between the two backing pieces.
I should also be able to use the pieced strip to sort-of "underline" what I'm doing with my leftover charm squares. I'm planning to appliqué "Happy Campers" on the back, using one charm square per letter. I don't, however, think I'm going to hand appliqué the letters. I'll most likely be ironing them on after the quilting is done, along with a label.
All this business on the back makes me nervous about getting the backing straight with the front. Usually my quilt backs wind up a little off kilter.
So I'm considering attempting spray-basting this quilt. I read the instructions on a can at the fabric store, but I was still somewhat hesitant to buy it. I don't have a whole lot of space to lay the sandwich out on the floor, and I have carpet, so I couldn't really tape the backing down like most tutorials advise. If the directions on the can are accurate, it seems I could smooth the backing over the batting, then flip and do the same with the top. It seems easier to only mess with attaching one side at a time. But I have no idea how quickly the adhesive bonds or how long the bond lasts. I would absolutely love to hear some of your experiences with different basting techniques — especially if you have tips for basting in small spaces!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I'd love it if you would include a way for me to contact you so I can reply.
— Meghan